Here are a few facts I managed to extract about the huge herbivore Mamenchisaurus:
- Humans have 7 cervical vertebrae (bones which make up the neck region of the spine); Mamenchisaurus had 19;
- The total weight of all the skin of a human adult is approximately 5kg; for Mamenchisaurus, skin weight has been estimated at 1.1 tonnes;
- Humans need to consume approximately 2 200 calories a day; Mamenchisaurus needed 100 000 calories;
- Humans have approximately 6 litres of blood circulating; Mamenchisaurus had 600 litres;
- Humans have a lung capacity of 0.5 litres; Mamenchisaurus breathed in 82 litres per breath.
The museum had set up a series of archeological digs for the children attending that day – the photo here shows their buckets and equipment ready to go.