“That’s not a butterfly. THIS is a butterfly”
This week Andy – aka Lord of the Butterflies – is the feature attraction at RealScientists, and has dazzled us by sharing simply amazing images from field studies near Gainesville, Florida and collections at the Florida Museum.
Andy’s tweets were so prolific, I archived them according to days (since I am the tweet-collecting storify dude at RealScientists).
You actually don’t need to read the text to enjoy them: just click through, and scroll down to see the wonderful diversity in the Lepidoptera family (which includes butterflies and moths). Other amazing animals also pop up, including tortoises, armadillos and alligators oh my!
- Day 1: from the muggy and buggy fields of Florida;
- Day 2: the secrets of preparing Lepidoptera for museum collections;
- Day 3: how are new species described? and beetlemania;
- Day 4: this is what museum staff look like! And more amazing butterflies;
- Day 5: your own ‘access all areas’ pass to the Florida Museum;
- Day 6: spectacular butterfly collections from Iran, Peru, China, Chile and South Africa;
- Day 7: our final field trip – look out for the alligator!
[image thanks to pablogrb on flickr]